Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Humanities Trump Absolutists (Part 2)

wishing well(Source)



...debate with Christian converter continued...

"If goodness doesn't from God, then where does it come from?"

I don't think some higher being appropriates goodness, like from moral Federal Reserve.

I'm not sure if you believe in the science of heredity, but the scientific reason for altruism derives for the need to pass genetic information.  So your siblings have half your DNA, cousins 1/4, etc.  There's the argument that it saves genetic information.

Mencius believes in 性本善, our nature was originally good.  Here cites the example of a the baby and the well.  Wells in ancient China weren't surrounded by a high barrier, it was literally a deep pit in the ground.  When one sees a baby crawl very close towards the hole, regardless of whether the observer desires to save the baby, we all have the gut reaction to fear the death of the child.  He argues that this gut reaction alone justifies the innate good nature of human beings.

"Yes, there are people who can reach a certain level of morality, but recognizing God brings you to His level of moral salvation."

Ah!  Here's what I find most disturbing:  non-believers are sent straight to Hell, regardless of their actions on Earth.  Confucius and Mencius didn't have Christ to die for their sins, do you expect me to believe that they're going Hell?  God sounds clingy and passive-aggressive.

Let's assume Mencius and Confucius was allowed to pass the pearly gates of Saint Peter.  I still don't believe in heaven and hell.  Let's assume there was some grouchy person who harbored extremely evil and violent thoughts, but never outwardly acted on them.  He goes to heaven, and his version of heaven is acting on those violent thoughts. Through your bible, it's not okay to commit for a finite lifetime, but God will provide an eternity of sinful acts if you're patient for your living life?  That doesn't add up to me.

I believe true moral salvation comes from processing one's experience and thinking critically about how to act with morals and compassion.  Everything else is trivia and propaganda.

"Mind I can get your phone number?  My church plans to have a bible study session."

Sorry, I don't give my personal information to strangers.

I finished my nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment