Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lala Land

It's the Wednesday hump, and many of you at one point in time today imagined yourself far away.

I imagined myself inside an oak-laqured little room, with my bookcase and calligraphy set.  Large doors face south as I watch my tea farm as sunlight melts away the morning fog.  As my tea leaves awaken the smell of sweet leaves reassure me that this year would be a good harvest.  I slowly drink my morning tea.  This is a good day....

But it's night time after a day of work.  My feet smell like bad blue cheese.  That's right, I need a drink.

Tao Qian 陶潛, famous for his utopia in "The Origin of the Peach Blossom," wrote a lesser known piece on drinking and writing with his friends at home.  Alcohol will be a recurring theme as a blog on with all sorts of drunks (ie emo drunks, sad drunks, blissful drunks, transcendent drunks).

飲酒二十首 序

Drinking 12 Verses:  Preface

陶潛

Tao Qian

余閒居寡歡

My quite house has few pleasures

兼比夜已長

Furthermore the night is getting longer

偶有名酒

If by chance I have rice wine

無夕不飲

There is not an evening where I do not drink

顧影獨盡

I look at my shadow finishing it myself

忽焉復醉

My solitude suddenly ends again

既醉之後

After being drunk

輒題數句自娯

Soon after I write a few phrases to amuse myself

紙墨遂多

There is much to write

辭無詮次

I leave it without order
聊命故人書之

For the time being I beseech my friend to write a letter.

以爲歡笑爾

so that I simply chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment