Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dying Flowers

Unlike the rest of the country, living in Southern California enables you to prolong the heat of summer.  Sadly even the warmest of seasons fall victim to the periods of life and death.  As I was picking the last flower in my front yard, it reminded me of Lin Daiyu, a character from Cao Xueqin's The Red Chamber.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Red Chamber, it's a comprehensive book that saga that follows the rise and fall of an aristocratic Qing Dynasty family.  I initially interpreted Lin Daiyu as an overly emotional sick girl that complained to much.  But once I continued reading into her character and the movement of the story, I regretted my initial underestimation of her.

As the year 2012 is about to end, I couldn't help but not feel the present and it's ephemeral nature.  As Lin Daiyu feels pity for the fallen flower petals, she says in a few lines:



"儂今葬花人笑癡,他年葬儂知是誰?"


"As I bury flowers others laugh at my insanity, how will I know who buries me?"


"一朝春盡紅顏老,花落人亡兩不知!"


"Once spring ends the red face of youth ends, fallen flower and missing departed will never be known!"



The entire poem roughly translates to "Ode to the Flower Burial".   Here's a shortened English translation, and a the full Chinese text.

Death and endings are morbid truths that seems to have been erased, or at least blind-sighted by instant communication and high speed internet.  The internet is not a window into the future, or even the present. It's quick recall of information from the past.  Constant availability of quick information provides the illusion of power and immortality, but death and endings are truths that cannot erase.

Stop.  Smell the flowers.

 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! :] Life is absolutely beautiful and so fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to 'Ode to the Flower Burial'; it's beautiful :). I haven't read 'The Red Chamber' before and I'm really encouraged by your review to try it!

    ReplyDelete